Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The first post..musings on absentmindedness

I've done the teenage angst, I've brought up three boys and they have all fled the nest. I'm just about to turn 50 (on August 6) so what's next? I am now over the hill waiting for decrepitude to set in or is life just about to get interesting?

The purpose of this blog is to record and analyse the next phase on my life, and to see what happens next...

I can't decide whether my absent mindedness is a cute character trait or just damned annoying. Sometimes it's so bad that I'm convinced that Alzheimers is setting in and I think that I should start leaving little Post-Its round the house to remind me of all the things I shouldn't be forgetting.

I left my iPhone charger in the Thistle hotel at Heathrow airport on Sunday morning, which was a particularly silly thing to do considering that I am addicted to my phone. The thought of a dead battery, no Facebook, no Twitter, and no Angry Birds was too much to bear. Eventually the very nice receptionist at the Queens Hotel in Brighton very kindly allowed me to borrow her charger as long as I left the phone at the desk (hidden of course), so a potential disaster was averted. As soon as I got my fully charged phone back, I downloaded the Amazon app and ordered a new charger.

I am also a little clumsy..I've never been a particularly dexterous person but my propensity towards dropping or spilling things seems to be getting worse. At the wedding reception we were attending in Brighton, I managed to spill something greasy on my beautiful turquoise silk camisole. I had to go to the Ladies where I managed to sponge it down with soap and water and was then left with a huge wet patch spreading across my chest. What else was there do to but position my bosom under the electric hand dryer and turn it on so a jet of hot air would dry the offending marks. It goes without saying that someone walked in while I was standing there, and gave me a very odd look. However it was effective and I managed to preserve my dignity and take my place at the table for the rest of the meal.

The question is, do I embrace these quirks of mine, laugh at them, be accepting that these traits are a part of my personality, or should I suppress them and treat them like defects that need correcting. Can I turn them into something positive, attractive or funny? I suppose this is a theme which will run through my blog and hopefully something positive will come from it.



1 comment:

  1. You don't have to worry about Alzheimers as you have always been absent-minded, but I thought you had rejecyed the clumsy characteristic long ago (self-fulfilling prophecy and all).
    Anyway, nothing about you is dammed annoying to me, though it may be to you. Definitely have to accept all our character traits, but you have a pretty good character - so that shouldn't be a problem.
    By the way, you are a really good writer, you know.

    ReplyDelete