Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Lay of the Land

Lay of the Land


So this is how it goes. 


For most of my adult life I’ve had this massive chip on my shoulder that I was never enough. Always defined by who I am by whose person I was. David’s wife, the boys’s mother, daughter in law, daughter, sister in law... but who was I? 


Most people when they meet me ask me what I do, that’s always met with a big question mark. Well, I do a lot...  but what is my vocation, my career, what have I done to save the world today? What do I do to earn money? I don’t know. Defining myself within these parameters is impossible for me. I usually make something up like “I work for my husband”.  It’s so unsatisfactory. Are we really what we do? I don’t think so any more. My qualities and characteristics make me who I am, not what I do. 


This is going to be part of my exploration, my journey because I think that the more I understand myself, the more effective I will become at helping others to do the same,  because we are all locked into the same trap of thinking that what we do makes us who we are. 


So why is this the lay of the land? It’s because I’m setting out a path of discovery, for myself and then it will branch out and I will be able to help others do the same. 


No comments:

Post a Comment