Monday, January 14, 2019

What’s Stopping Me?

What’s Stopping Me?


Or to be more precise, why am I stopping me? 


That giant chip on my shoulder because I dropped out of of University when my mother was desperately ill and I didn’t get to  finish my degree. I don’t regret dropping out at the time but I never really had the chance to start again. I chose to start a family instead. No regrets about that either, so why the chip then? Because I feel unqualified.


I do have a Masters Degree in the University of Life though, I have that in spades. I brought up three sons, I went back to college on a vocational course when Ethan was a baby. I taught myself how to use a computer at night when the kids were in bed. I helped out in the family business, I set myself up as a freelance computer trainer and then became a Magistrate. I taught myself photography . I administrated a small charity for four years and ran educational and community programs.  After my father in law died I took on the care of my Mother in Law and have learned about medicine, family law, counselling ....I also look after my grandchildren.


I am still healing myself back to wellness after a minor emotional breakdown four years ago and have learned about Mindfulness, Emotional Frequency Tapping, and Inquiry. 


I have had to learn to divide my life between two countries, England and Israel. I have had to learn to drive on the other side of the road and am learning a new language.  I have had to learn online shopping, banking and to read the post in Hebrew. 


All these skills I acquired through determination and hard work, but still feel inadequate. Now I am training to be a Life Coach, I think I have what it takes and have been told I have the skills. And yet, and yet.... something is still holding me back and stopping me. That little voice, my worst enemy who says “Who do you think you are?  What makes you think you can be a Life Coach? Who gave you the authority to do that? There are plenty of Life Coaches out there far more qualified than you.”


I know it ‘s from my mind, I know it’s not really me....so why do I believe it? Why do I still have self limiting beliefs that hold me back and if I still have self limiting beliefs, how can I help others? How do I get over one of my most challenging hurdles? Once I get over it I know I’ll be OK but I still have a lot of work to do.... 


No comments:

Post a Comment